I've begun projects in the past...many projects. Some have been realistic and some have been stuff that simply burned a hole in my head until I succumbed to it.
Examples include:
Gigworthy- A website where musicians could upload their music and have each musician's performance - along with the overall song - rated. It was launched in 2003 prior to the existence of MySpace, but lacked marketing and organizational execution.
A site called 'Ourstage' stole the idea, and subsequently received $17 million in funding in 2007.
Beach Buddy- A waterproof pillow intended for improving your lounging enjoyment at the beach. The pillow was filled with cotton and lined with a waterproof shell. The pillowcase was made of terrycloth and had a zipper at one end, allowing the owner to remove and wash the sand and saltwater away.
250 pillows were fabricated, but the manager of the textile company was fired for working on mine and other side projects. I walked the beach in San Diego trying to sell the few I could sequester from the textile company, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not beach-sales-hotness material.
Parking Buddy- A small, circular, LED-lit beacon which indicates a driver is looking for a parking spot. Ever thought the guy in front of you was going to turn right but wanted to park? (yep)
The same friend who helped with Gigworthy helped with this. We met with several people who liked the idea. The product never materialized, and I believe it would've been stolen by big auto manufacturers anyway...An interstitial wiper blade movie made circa 2002 explained the challenges in that industry.
AshMaster- People still smoke (believe it or not) This was an idea for an exterior car ashtray for smokers which attached underneath the rear-view mirror.
DateMyCircle- A matchmaking site where your friends (Single, Taken, Married) help you search, screen, and sponsor dates with other available Singles. Project stalled...
Hoping to launch in October.
No comments:
Post a Comment